Thursday, June 23, 2005

It's been a long week

... and it is not getting shorter yet.

I have been spending time with a good friend of mine as she and her family try to get everything taken care of for the viewing and service tonight.

Her mother died Monday night.

And there was the additional stress of trying to get the Army to grant her son leave so he could come home from Iraq for his grandmother's service and funeral.

So the service is tonight, but the funeral itself is not until next weekend because they wanted to make sure there was time for him to get back. They didn't want him to miss everything. If everything went as planned he should be on a transport now to arrive back in the states at some point tomorrow. It would be nice if he could be back for tonight, but it doesn't look good.

So I have a service to go to tonight.

Once I am back from the service, depending on the time, I will go back to getting ready for my trip this weekend. If it is too late, and I am not going to leave the service early, I will be spending tomorrow night getting ready to leave early Saturday morning.

I am looking forward to the trip, but first I need to make sure of how people are doing tonight.

Oh, and this is after not sleeping soundly the last couple of nights. I was doing good until then.

And No, I have not received the results of the sleep study yet. I guess I should go and call my doctor again while I am thinking of it.


And a piece of advice: Let people know you care about them. You never know when they could be gone.

It's not always easy. I should know, I'm still working on it myself.


  1. Lloyd, I care about you... even if you didn't mention attending my event. :)

    Just got my son his first Star Wars figures. He is practically glued to them! And so the narrative of his life defined by toys begins.

    Wish you would blog, email or call more often. Just pick one! :) love Laurie

  2. Actually Laurie, I was going to write about that Monday night when I got a call from another Laurie that her mother had died.

    And then with everything going on I didn't get a chance to write anything else until this afternoon. It might yet make it in. :)

    Hope you are doing well.

  3. Oh dear. Sorry to hear all this.

    Buck up me lad, your comments chez Scaryduck always cheer me up :).

    As regards your previous post... urgh it's been 30+ here for a while and humid as heck. Brutal. My 30-minute morning walk is becoming more like a swim, or a bath, or something.


    P.S. Happy Canada Day!