Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Roughing It?

So much has happened. Some bad, but a lot of good as well. I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start by telling you about Rites and see where I end up from there...

Rites of Spring

Rites of Spring is gathering of 400 to 500 people. Just us and our closest friends, as they say.

TWIL and I have both been going to Rites for years, and had seen each other around the gathering for several years. Last year we spent a lot of time together, talking and getting to know one another. That is when our relationship began.

This year we went as a couple. Well, we got there on different days, I was there on Monday and she arrived on Wednesday, but we were together for 6 days (5 nights) and shared a tent. There are cabins available but they typically have anywhere from 12 to 20 people in one room, in small-ish bunk beds no less. So it was a tent for us. The way we had it setup, it was much more comfortable, and much more private, than a cabin.

This was the first time TWIL had spent an extended stay in a tent.

We had a good sized tent. The interior floor space was 11 by 11 feet, and there was room for me to stand up straight anywhere in the tent. We were also setup with a queen sized futon mattress, real bedding, stacking drawers making dressers, a hanging clothes rack, a portable power supply, even a full-length mirror. We were both very comfortable. The lodge with the restrooms and showers, was a walk of about 150 to 200 yards.

Our time at Rites was wonderful, especially the time we got to spend together. {This is my opinion, but I'm sure she would agree.}

We spent a lot of time talking, some of it about long-term plans. Of course it is too early to put any of it in here... Yet.

We celebrated a couple of anniversaries while we were there. The night we started talking. Our first kiss. And not long after we got back, Our first date.

Leaving Rites was difficult. Knowing that after spending those 6 days together I would not get to see or hold her for 2 weeks. But her car was packed and she had to leave, The Sprout was waiting, while my truck was still blocked in by several other vehicles.

This time I was the one standing there watching her leave. I have done this before when she has to work the occasional Sunday and I am there. She leaves for work before I am packed and leaving to head back to Boston. However, this time was so much harder.

We still talk every day, either in person or on the phone. And we still don't get to spend as much time together as I would like.

... and now I have to go to bed before I fall over. So you'll have to wait until next time to hear about a dream I had, and other topics that are in the queue.

Walk in Beauty.


  1. FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

    Ok, that was lame.

    Anyway, good to see ya back (and commenting chez Scaryduck also). Glad it was a good time.

    R of the 'pus variety.

  2. Ricardipus: I'm not sure that getting "First" means much considering my average number of comments per post.

  3. Mmmm, yes, quite... small victories, gotta take 'em when they're available ;)